Raspberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
For the Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Coffee Cake:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups King Arthur Flour all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking power
1 cup sour cream
1 cup raspberries
Make the topping:
1. In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon, set the mixture aside
Make the Coffee Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan with unsalted butter
2. In a medium bowl mix together butter and sugar until well combined. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking power and salt. Alternately add the flour mixture and the sour cream to the batter, mixing between each addition.
4. Pour 1/2 of the cake batter into the prepared pan, spreading it into an even layer. Sprinkle 1/2 the topping mixture and 1/2 the raspberries atop the batter then repeat by layering the remaining batter with the remaining topping and raspberries.
5. Bake the coffee cake for 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the center is set. Allow the coffee cake to cool 5 to 10 minutes in the pan then cut it into 9 pieces.
Submit 6 pieces on a white paper plate.
Overall Appearance 25 points
Following Directions 10 points
Texture 15 points
Aroma 10 points
Flavor 40 points
TOTAL 100 points
The following prizes are awarded at the state contest:
- 1ST: $15.00 & Rosette - 6TH: $5.00 & Rosette
- 2ND: $12.50 & Rosette - 7TH: $5.00 & Rosette
- 3RD: $10.00 & Rosette - 8TH: $5.00 & Rosette
- 4TH: $7.50 & Rosette - 9TH: $2.50 & Rosette
- 5TH: $5.00 & Rosette - 10TH: $2.50 & Rosette
- Honorable Mention Ribbons will also be awarded